Sustainability is at the heart of our future – but we’re not alone.
Businesses up and down the UK are changing how they operate in a bid to become more ethically and environmentally focussed, and the team at Berisfords are committed to becoming completely sustainable – starting this year.
Our pledge to the planet
Recycled ribbon has been an important part of our collection for years, but 2021 was benchmarked to be the beginning of our biggest commitment yet.
From this year onwards, we have pledged to upgrade all of our UK manufactured ribbon to 100% recycled yarn.
Why? Here are some fast facts about the environmental impact of cotton:
- It takes 10,000 litres of water to produce 1 kilo of cotton.
- The impact this has had on inland sea levels has driven the UN to declare it one of “the planet’s worst environmental disasters”.
- The levels of water withdrawal diminish river flows, depleting groundwater.
- Cotton is the most pesticide intensive crop in the world, requiring more chemicals than any other crop.
- These hazardous pesticides are often found in nearby water resources.
It’s a bleak situation, but the good news is – in 2021 industries are all making alterations to how they work.
But what about us? We’re making huge in-house changes to do our bit, and we couldn’t be more excited to share them with you today.
From bottle – to bin – to bows!
That’s right, from the start of 2021 onwards, Berisfords are dedicated to upgrading all of our UK Manufactured ribbons to be made from 100% recycled yarn!
We wanted to get this right, which is why we have soured a recycled polyester (rPET) yarn to develop a ribbon which not only offers our customers an easier way to do their bit – but helps to dramatically reduce unnecessary plastic waste.
Why? Here are some fast facts about the environmental benefits of our recycled polyester:
- It prevents unnecessary wastage and keeps plastics from going into the ocean or landfill.
- 5 x 2 litre bottles can yield enough fibre to produce an extra-large t-shirt.
- Recycled polyester is just as good as virgin polyester but takes 59% less energy to make.
- Recycled polyester contributes to the reduction of crude oil and natural gas from the earth.
At current rates, there will be more plastic than fish in the sea by 2050 – but by being at the forefront of design innovation in this way, we hope to drive this figure down dramatically by changing how we work – and in turn – helping other companies do the same.
Be a part of a more sustainable future
Whether you’re a regular customer or coming to us for the very first time, we’re proud to be one of the most trusted ribbon manufacturers within the UK. And now, our GRS and Oeko Tex certified sustainable ribbon can become part of your ethical business plan.
We even put our manufactured ribbon on completely recycled reels which can then themselves be recycled – so you know you’re in the very best hands with us.
To discuss our process in more detail, or to order some sustainable ribbon – give our team a call on 01260 274011.